Friday, January 19, 2018

Surgery Day - Cerclage

On Wednesday, J2 nudged me to semi-consciousness at 5:30 a.m. That’s a real time, right? People actually wake up before the sun rises? Like, that’s a thing, right? So I stumbled out of bed, tossed on some comfortable clothes and we headed for the hospital. We checked in to the labor and delivery ward. It was very quite at 6:30 in the morning. We were taken to our room which didn’t bring up the fondest memories. The last time we were here it was not a happy moment. This time is for a better reason, and one that should help me get to the moment I really want.

I slipped into the fashionable hospital gown. The nurse, Barbara, started an IV. It was interesting because she put it in on the side of my forearm. Usually they haven’t been able to get an IV in my forearm because they say I’m too “vavle-y.” Better than in my hand. I felt like I could move. Barbara went and retrieved a Doppler to check the baby. At this time, my doctor arrived to touch base with us. After both her and the nurse tried and failed to hear the heartbeat (although they heard the cord), my doctor went and got an ultrasound machine. She stated that it is difficult to hear anything with a Doppler at 12 weeks. Not like I was having a mini freak out or anything. The logic part of my brain was telling me that it was too early; the pessimistic anxious side was……..

Internally, of course.


I think you get the point. The ultrasound (praise Dr. Ian Donald and Tom Brown) showed my squiggly little worm doing just fine. See? Nothing to worry about. Who’s panicking?

A little while later I was wheeled back to the OR. I got up on the table and they had me sit up and towards the back of the table. Since I was nervous about the epidural, Barbara talked me through what the anesthesiologist was going to do. I curled around a pillow and the anesthesiologist rubbed iodine on my back. Next, the nurse said I would feel something akin to a bee sting. The longest bee sting of my life. It lasted for a few seconds. To me, this was the worst part of the whole thing. Then came some pressure from the threading of the catheter and cramp like feeling when the medication was first injected. After that my legs started to tingle. I was scooted down to the other end of the table where my legs were lifted into stirrups. As the nurses were prepping, my doctor spoke with me. She asked if I could feel anything. I said that my legs were tingling (as if they fell asleep). She touched my leg and then pinched my arm and told me that’s what she did to my leg. I did not feel the pinch. So I could feel touch and hot and cold, but not pain. When the catheter was inserted, the nurses said if the epidural wasn’t working I would have definitely felt it.

I was always under the impression that an epidural completely numbed everything. More of an assumption. So it seemed odd that I could still move my feet. Now, I do think they can numb it more, but there is no reason if you’re not in pain. Bonus, first time I didn’t feel the speculum.

The procedure itself took about 10 minutes. My little girl was all tied in.

Essentially
Back to the room I was wheeled with J2 waiting for me. I spent the next three hours waiting for the anesthesia to wear off. Another ultrasound was done and she was still moving all about. Finally, around 11:30 a.m. my catheter and IV were removed. I was then able to get up to make sure I was okay to stand and walk. I received the all clear and was discharged.


I really thought I was going to be in more pain. Besides a little cramping (which was expected) and my back being slightly bruised (since I’m on blood thinners) I’ve been fine. Overall, I’m pleased I did it. I feel a little more secure in this pregnancy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment